Update Request/ Notification dilemma

I am using Automation send Update Request 2 times with someone who is not a shared user. The first time I send an update request it works just fine, they only receive 1 email. However the 2nd time I send an Update Request it sends 2 emails, 1 is the Update Request I want and the other is an Update Notification. This person is not a shared user, Is not in a contact column using Update Notification and works outside of my company. Is there away to stop them from getting this Update Notification?

Regards,

Rob

Answers

• Hi @Robert Karsh

When you check your workflows for this sheet, do you have an alert that might be sending that update notification? This sounds like an alert workflow that is being triggered, so this is where I would start with investigating. It might be helpful to Edit any existing workflows and check them step by step to see if any alert might be triggering.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Alex

• Hello Alexander,

Thank you for your response. I have already checked all of my automation workflows even going as turning off all notification alerts. Only using 2 automation workflow update requests.

Update request #1 sends out a request with a drop down box for accepting or rejecting and a date field to be populated.

once that is filled in by a non shared user the Accept choice generates a second update request to go to the same non shared person

The problem is at the same time the non shared user gets 2 smartsheet generated emails at the same time. #2 update request I want them to receive but also they receive a notification that says a row has been updated with their name as the person who updated it. It also provides links to log into smartsheet. These links do not work but this email will generate confusion when received. To restate I have disabled all alerts/notifications with only 2 update requests active to try to determine the root cause but this still persists.

I do not know why the attached screen shot is being sent to my non shared person. I have been testing this with 2 different email accounts outside of my company and get the same unwanted results.

Any other suggestions or is this the expectation when a person outside the company non shared submits a completed update request?

Regards,

Robert

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Robert Karsh

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots of the workflow? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.