Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Active Sheet Format Updating from Template

Options
Scott Blick
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

All,

My org manages product delivery lifecycles. We currently copy a process checklist template (sheet) for each new product delivery. This checklist also captures dates and data points.

Idealy there would be a way to actively update format of the checlist template sheet (additional rows added as we fine tune the process) throughout the lifecyle. 

My kneejerk idea work around was to reate a report of the template... but populating dates or data ponts pushes that data back to the origination. That would not work for our current need. Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Scott,

There isn't a way to do this.

You'll need to manually Save As New, cleanup the sheet (remove data, keep structure and formatting), Save As Template.

Craig

• Lacey Bathala
    Options

When I first learned of Smartsheet, 3 days ago, I was truly wowed!  I'm an advanced/expert Excel user.  I might be addicted to Smartsheets now though; however, one key reason I turned to Smartsheets is I was led to believe (by a co-worker) that updating a template would dynamically update every smartsheet that used that template.  WHICH SOUNDED AMAZING!! 

If a template is saved in a workspace, any smartsheet using that template saved in the same workspace should have this dynamic update ability - when the template is changed! 

This discussion has been closed.