Referencing data from other sheets

Options

I need to create a sheet (let's call it Sheet 1) that references data from several other sheets IF a certain box is checked in those reference sheets. For instance, If the box is checked in any row of column B, Sheet 2 or column D, Sheet 3, the data from the Name, Date and Amount column for that row in those sheets would populate cells in Sheet 1.

I hope that makes sense? Thanks in advance if you can help.

Answers

• Danielle Arteaga
    Danielle Arteaga ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If I am following correctly, you can accomplish by applying an automated workflow to Sheet 2 and Sheet 3 that moves or copies the rows from each of those sheets to Sheet 1 when the box in the respective columns are checked. You can learn more about this workflow here: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2479626-automatically-move-or-copy-rows-between-sheets. But, basically, you would set up a workflow on Sheet 2 that would copy (or move) your row to Sheet 1 whenever your Column B box is checked. Then, same workflow on Sheet 3 when Column D box is checked.

• STF Admin
    Options

Thank you - that sounds very promising! I will look into it! (Would it have to copy the whole row, or could I select specific cells? The reference sheets are set up differently.) If that is answered within the article you referenced, then never mind! I'm going to go read that now... THANK YOU!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @STF Admin

To add to Danielle's excellent advice/answer.

Another option would be to use cross-sheet formulas (VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH) and only show the fields as needed in the other sheets.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!