Is anyone else having trouble with the Today function?

Options

Hello,

The Today function is not working when included in a simple IF statement. It was actually working a while ago but now it is not working.

I tested it out by simply trying =IF(Cell@232="2",=Today(),"") but it would spit out #INVALID OPERATION. 

I have even tried =IF(Cell@232="2",Today(),"") but it would spit out #INVALID COLUMN VALUE.

Can someone explain why the Today function is not working? Thank you.

Answers

• John Jonassen
    John Jonassen ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Two parts on this:

1) Your first formula attempt should be =IF(Cell@232="2",Today(),"") omitting the = sign before "Today", this should clear up your invalid operation.

2) Make sure this formula is within a Date formatted column, this should clear up the invalid column value.

• John Sisounthone
    Options

@John Jonassen

Hello,

Thank you for answering. I have tried that formula in my second attempt and made sure that it is in the Date formatted column. Unfortunately, the formula is still not working for me.

• Jenna Bailey
    Jenna Bailey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Something isn't quite right with the first bit of your formula... Cell@232 doesn't make much sense to me, the naming convention would be more like [Cell]232 if your column name you are referencing is named Cell.

Is the column you have the formula in a Date column?

Perhaps also take the quotes off of "2" as well...

• John Sisounthone
    edited 10/27/20
    Options

@Jenna Bailey

Hello,

Thank you for answering. I'm sorry, I should have copied and pasted the formula directly.

Here is the exact copy: =IF([Task Name]@row=2,Today(),""

The formulas automatically have the @ symbol now. I am not sure of when this started happening.

Yes it is a date column. Is that the problem?

I have tried it both ways of with and without the quotes.

I am really stumped with this issue.

• Jenna Bailey
    Jenna Bailey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They changed the @symbol so that you can convert a formula to a column formula.

I'm actually pretty stumped as when I recreate this it seems to function just fine.

What type of column is the "Task Name" column? is it strictly numbers?

• John Sisounthone
    edited 10/28/20
    Options

@Jenna Bailey

The column isn't strictly set to numbers or dates. The formula that I am trying to implement was previously working a few weeks ago but I am not sure why its not working now. Thank you for trying to help me.

The column is actually called "Finish" which represents finished dates.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!