How to transfer information to power bi on a hierarchical level?

Options
Rachel r
Rachel r
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi,

I connected to smartsheet from powerbi,

I am trying to get information about a level in the hierarchy of each line i.e., is this a parent / child line

Is there a way to pass information to powerbi on a hierarchy level?

Thanks,

Rachel

Best Answer

Answers

• Rachel r
    Options

Thanks it's great, I'll use it!

• Byron
    Byron
    edited 10/31/22
    Options

Hello,

I've added the formula to my sheet but cannot figure out how to show this in a hierarchical format within my Power BI report.

Please can you assist?

Regards,

• Geilisa
    Geilisa ✭✭✭
    edited 11/07/22
    Options

I'm also still trying to figure this all out. I have found =PARENT([Row ID]@Row) works when you have a lot of different parents unrelated and with the auto number column as a Row ID(could use other columns to identify parents) this formula will identify the parent row for each child. (Power Bi doesn't like to sort numbers in order without preceding zeros) Maybe this information will help us get a step closer to solving this.

• Byron
    Byron
    edited 11/08/22
    Options

The two formulas:

• "=PARENT([Row ID]@Row)" and
    • "Check if Parent". Within row 1, use the formula, =IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) > 0, 1, 0) "

Could potentially work if it could show the row text instead of the check or row number. Power BI could then use the row text to filter based based on the hierarchy.

Right now in my PBI report I'm manually adding the parent row text to each row in a separate "helper coloum" to achieve this.