Clearing data from smartsheet before data uploader runs

Options
Adam Qualls
Adam Qualls ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have a smartsheet that I am populating monthly with a job from data uploader. The smartsheet has several columns that are manually updated between uploads. For example, January the uploader will run and import data to overwrite existing data in Rows A-C in Columns 1,2,3. Column 4 will be manually updated sometime after the uploader has run. In February the uploader will run again and overwrite Rows A-C in columns 1,2,3. But column 4 will still contain the manual entry from January that is no longer relevant. How would I get this automated so that when the smartsheet is updated, the other column will be blanked out to start fresh with the new months data? Hope this makes sense!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Adam Qualls

You can set up an Expression that will replace content in your Smartsheet column number 4 with nothing (or one space bar to make an empty cell) when Data Uploader Runs.

Under the Mapping tab, find Column 4, and from the drop-down menu under Input Column/Expression select "</> New Expression". This pop-up window will appear:

I've titled the expression Blank Cells but you can Name it anything you'd like. Then in the Value box I've simply entered one blank space-bar space. Then when I execute the workflow it erases the previous data in that one column.

The Help Center article for Data Uploader has a little more information - you may want to take a look at the section under Map Columns Between the Two Systems, here.

Let me know if this makes sense!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Adam Qualls

You can set up an Expression that will replace content in your Smartsheet column number 4 with nothing (or one space bar to make an empty cell) when Data Uploader Runs.

Under the Mapping tab, find Column 4, and from the drop-down menu under Input Column/Expression select "</> New Expression". This pop-up window will appear:

I've titled the expression Blank Cells but you can Name it anything you'd like. Then in the Value box I've simply entered one blank space-bar space. Then when I execute the workflow it erases the previous data in that one column.

The Help Center article for Data Uploader has a little more information - you may want to take a look at the section under Map Columns Between the Two Systems, here.

Let me know if this makes sense!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Adam Qualls
    Options

That worked! Thank you