Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Having problems with sums

Marc Lapides
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hello.  I am trying to add some totals in a column.  It's a pretty simple thing that I do in Excel all the time.  I am just clicking on a few cells in a column to be part of a total.  However, after a do about 3-4 cells, it stops working and the cell with the total says #UNEXPECTED OPERATOR.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks for any help you can provide. 

Tags:

Comments

• You should be able to type in or use the function icon to sum either individual cells or a range of cells.  The sum function usually defaults to 1 column and will sum everything above the cell you are in; if you are trying to sum data in multiple columns you must use the following logic.

Range - 

=SUM([Name of Column]row#:[Name of Column]row#)

Individual cells - 

=SUM([Name of Column]row#,[Name of Column]row#)

Example:

I want to sum multiple totals into one overall total - my formula is in row 57

=SUM([Actual Total]58, [Actual Total]71, [Actual Total]84, [Actual Total]98, [Actual Total]100)

ScreenShot2.JPG

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well said Sandee. a Quick tip.... Dont forget that if you have a formula in Excel that you like and want to use it in Smartsheet then just import the Excel file into Smartsheet, it does all the work for you then you can see how it works and copy it as needed? 

Hope that helps?

RichardR

• Travis
    Travis Employee

#UNEXPECTED OPERATOR indicates your formula has an incomplete mathematical expression. Could you show us the formula that is producing this error? 

• I have seen this when highlighting data: when it needs to scroll the view it sometimes closes the cell you are editing so that you end up with an incomplete formula. Double click into the formula cell to make sure this isn't the case. You can type the formula in if necessary to get around it.

This discussion has been closed.