Vlookup cell isn't multiplying with another cell.

Options

Hi guys whenever I am trying to multiply my Vlookup cell with another cell it gives a Value error. I have linked web data to other sheets and have a vlookup for specific data in cell D6. In G6 I then want to multiply D6 by a value in F6 using =D6*F6, but a value error occurs. I have also tried copying and pasting the vlookup formula into G6 with *F6 on the end and also tried *f6,0) but value error also appears. When showing calculation steps the correct values are within the steps however on the final step it doesnt give the answer but value error. Please can someone help/let me know other ways as inputting the data manually everytime i refresh is very monotonous thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It looks like you are working in Excel and not Smartsheet? If that is the case, certain functions work differently or just don't exist between the two.

My initial thought would be that your VLOOKUP is pulling a text value. You may need to follow the VLOOKUP backwards and make sure that your data is in fact numerical values. If you are entering symbols (other than a decimal) manually, then you may be entering text strings which can't be multiplied.

You may need to search out an Excel oriented forum for more Excel specific assistance.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What type of data is the VLOOKUP pulling? Is that data populated by a formula? How is the data in the F6 column populated?

• Ryan Travers
    Options

The vlookup data formula is =VLOOKUP(C6,'ATH Coin Index 1-100'!$C:$E,3,0) in the other sheet I have crypto currency values where I vlookup the currency ticker/token (C6) it then gathers the currency price from column 3 of the index table. In F6 is a manually entered number for e.g 0.64, i have also tried =VLOOKUP(C6,'ATH Coin Index 1-100'!$C:$E,3,0)*0.64 but Value error also appears.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It looks like you are working in Excel and not Smartsheet? If that is the case, certain functions work differently or just don't exist between the two.

My initial thought would be that your VLOOKUP is pulling a text value. You may need to follow the VLOOKUP backwards and make sure that your data is in fact numerical values. If you are entering symbols (other than a decimal) manually, then you may be entering text strings which can't be multiplied.

You may need to search out an Excel oriented forum for more Excel specific assistance.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!