Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sights: Revision Control/Tracking History

Options
Daniel Z
Daniel Z
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I am attempting to migrate & automate parts of my company's business process of creating and updating weekly, project slide updates to incorporate Sights (since we use underlying sheets for project tracking).

Are there any best practices, solutions, or workarounds for revision control of Smartsheet Sights?  I was hoping there would be an out-of-box solution for exporting Smartsheet Sights to PowerPoint.  Vision would be to have an export of the Sight generated weekly and easily saved to our storage location.

Thank you in advance! 

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Daniel

For your weekly snapshot of results for the record, if you can design a Report that gathers that info, you can automate the export to Excel weekly, then be incorporated by running and "Update macro" that sucks that data into an ongoing status sheet showing all previous snapshots. Excel Gurus find this easy! 

For Visibility of Real Time current data then if sights is not enough, then if you cmbine the above Data with Real Time Data in Power BI then you have Great & Easily shared visibility of KPIs, plus in Power Bi you can use a slider to choose the dates of interest, which pulls data from Smartsheet AND Excel at the same time. 

I suggest those solutions will be better than PPT? and the Free version of Power Bi does a lot of impresive stuff. 

Hope that helps? 

RichardR

• Daniel Z
    Daniel Z
    edited 03/02/17
    Options

Hi Richard,

Appreciate your detailed feedback! 

The initial Sight design that I developed combines a report with some metric data to provide an overview of KPIs for a project.  The initial reason I was looking to have a PowerPoint export was to archive a snapshot of the dashboard for tracking history and revision control (should conflicts over dates arise).

I have automated Excel exports of other reports in the past, but for some reason did not think of that as an option for this situation.  Thank you for the recommendation, and I will see if I can design the internal process to incorporate this automation.

Thank you again for your quick response.

Best Regards,

Daniel

This discussion has been closed.