Can indented rows in Smartsheet show their parents in 10,000ft?

Options
Miguel Valle
edited 02/17/21 in Smartsheet Basics

I am using 10,000ft to visualize my resource allocation. I am using a Smartsheet project plan do the actual allocation, and in this project plan I have "phases", "tasks" indented to those "phases" and "type of resource" indented to those "tasks." When I go to 10,000ft, however, in my schedule I only the resource and the "type of resource" and not the task or phase to which that resource was allocated (which is as important or more important to see). Is there a way to get that information readily accessible in 10,000ft, something like an option to "display hierarchy"?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Miguel Valle

When you assign a row, the Primary Column of the row is used as the task name to sync into the 10,000ft schedule (see this Help Article). This means that if there is no identifying label in the Primary Column of your sheet to signify what hierarchy that row is in Smartsheet, then 10,000ft won't have access to that information (please fill out this Feedback Form!)

If it's important to see the hierarchy, you could set up your Primary Column to contain data from two cells in Smartsheet: a Task Name and a Hierarchy Label.

1 . You could set up a helper column that labels the row based on its hierarchy level using a formula. This could even be a hidden column. For example:

=IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS([Primary Column]@row)) = 0, "Phase", IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS([Primary Column]@row)) = 1, "Task", IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS([Primary Column]@row)) = 2, "Type of Resource")))

2 . Then you can have a different, regular Text/Number column as your Task Name column.

3 . Finally, have your Primary Column house a column formula that simply adds those two pieces of data together, such as:

=[Hierarchy Label]@row + " - " + [Task Name]@row

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Miguel Valle
    Options

Thanks Genevieve! That's a clever solution and it may help me in the future but it's not to the issue I have. I do not need to display the type of hierarchy but the full hierarchy, i.e. the full label with "phase - task name - type of resource." I think we will just have to include that full hierarchy in that primary column. Not a big deal. Also, I am not sure I want to mess with the primary column since this plan not only feeds into 10,000 ft but into other analysis that I cannot mess with.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Miguel Valle

Thanks for clarifying! Yes, you would need to add all that information into the Primary Column in order for it to pull through...with the current functionality of the panel, that is.

Please still submit your feedback through the form above so our Product team can hear from you; they review each request that comes in to help determine what updates need to be made to this panel in the future.

Cheers,

Genevieve