Managing permissions for sheets that will be updated via reports

Hi,

I have a sheet that I want users to update using a report. It would be best not to open the sheet up to the full universe of users, but new users are added frequently and I don't want to continually be updating the permissions for the sheet or a group. What are the best options for doing this?

The report I am using is filtered to the current user using a contact field in the sheet.

Thanks,

Ty

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ty Hickman ,

To update or edit a report the user has to have rights to the underlying sheets. A technique is to have supervisors and staff to notify new users to attempt to access the report and then request access. You'll get an email notification with a link to approve. Fewer steps for you. You'll still have the problem of removing people who no longer need access.

The easiest solution for you is to use Dynamic View which is a premium app. That will allow you to control who sees what by individual or group without sharing the underlying sheets.

Others may have more ideas. Common issue.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.