Template recommendations for tracking product design approvals and status from design to production?

Robert Cozby
Robert Cozby ✭✭
edited 01/20/21 in Smartsheet Basics

So I've been looking at Smartsheet as a solution to a project tracking problem, but I'm having a hard time finding a template for the purposes I'm intending it for. If this needs to be created from scratch, I'd love to be pointed in the direction of some resources.

I work at a company where we have many products being designed and created that need approvals and coordination with several departments internally and externally. Think phone accessories with printed and designed material. So no need to redesign the accessory each time, just the artwork and materials.

After watching the Project Management tutorials, it seems like all of them require you to create separate copies of the project management template for each Project. So each project is it's own folder and set of sheets and docs.

This won't be feasible for me, since there are hundreds of the same basic product being designed that we need to be able to track in a single sheet so we can have an 'at-a-glance' view of. I can't just make a hundred separate sheets for each product.

Basically I'm NOT looking for any solutions that require each project to have its own dedicated project sheet.

The workflow that I'm looking for looks something like this:

1. Submit basic project/product info via a form
  2. Form populates a tracking sheet with preliminary info.
  3. As more info gets made, user can populate the fields(such as SKUs, dates, links, and reference numbers)
  4. Ability to label at what stage project/product is in from a design/approval standpoint(Designed, Internally approved, submitted to client for approval, etc). This will tell us what action will be needed to move it forward.
  5. Automate project at risk level based on deadline. 
  6. Ability to have a dashboard to see at risk projects as well as which ones require action to be taken.

I'd prefer to have one line per product, and change it's status via a dropdown menu, but continue to have the date tracking as seen in some of the project management sheets. Rather than setting each milestone deadline in stone, I'd prefer to track when things get approved while referencing the main deadline(in store date, etc)

Answers