IF(CHILDREN()) ? - Child inherits parent traits for entire column

I could've sworn I'd seen this but now I can't find it: We have a sheet for incoming project requests. Our general population can request multiple new mkt materials (printed direct mail, email, outlook MSG, etc.) for a campaign in a single 'ticket.' Then our PMO hotseat creates a new child row for each of those unique items and assigns them out. We'd like common parent traits (owner/requester, a master project number, requested on date) to be inherited for all kids. We're manually dropping in "=PARENT()" but would like it do this automatically. Possible? I'm entirely too dumb to figure it out.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @JBonaduce

It's possible with the new Column Formula and a well thought out structure.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Laura K
    Laura K ✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå ,

I came across this thread and I'm actually having a similar problem with my sheet! We have built a large list of parent rows, each with a set of child rows below. We'd like to set up a column formula to include the parent data if the cell is blank. Would you be able to help out with this?

(4) 2021 Marketing Campaign Calendar - Smartsheet.com

Thank you so much! I'm really stuck on this one!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Laura K

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd be happy to help!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Laura K
    Laura K ✭✭

Amazing! Thank you so much for the quick response @Andrée Starå

Our Marketing Team creates a parent row for each Marketing campaign that takes place during the year. Then, child rows sit beneath, which represent the different pieces of those campaigns (emails, social posts, etc.)

For each column to the right of the frozen divider, I'm looking to have the parent data automatically appear in any blank child cells. For example: if the date column for a child is empty, it should automatically inherit the date from the parent. In some cases, the child has separate dates, which shouldn't be overwritten. Hopefully that makes sense! The document is here (and it should be shared with you as an editor already). Thank you!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!