Calendar View

Options
RossL
RossL ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Calendar for announcements that that is imbedded in a dashboard. How can I set the view to default to show today's date. Right now it defaults to Feb-Mar 2020

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @RossL

Interesting, I can't replicate that, mine will open to Today.

How about having a rolling task that literally just states what Today's date is? You could use the TODAY function for the date cell, and then set an automation on the sheet to lock rows in the middle of the night (then another one to unlock rows) in order to "re-fresh" the date in that Today cell so it updates each day.

Please also provide feedback to the Product Team about this behaviour in this form, here.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @RossL

I'm unable to replicate what you're describing: when I Publish a sheet in Calendar View and then embed that on a Dashboard with the Web Content widget it automatically opens up to Today's Date (Feb - Mar 2021). You can change the view to check out other months, but when I close the tab and then go back to the Dashboard again the Calendar re-sets to Today's month.

Could you describe your process a bit more? Did you also use a Published link as a Web Content widget? Do you see the same thing when you access the Dashboard from different browsers?

Thanks!

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.
    edited 02/03/21
    Options

Hi @RossL

My apologies! I just tested by adjusting the tasks in my Calendar to last year, and now my calendar defaults to those tasks instead, since I have no dates in 2021.

Is it possible that all of your tasks are in the past, which is why the Calendar is showing past dates?

• RossL
    RossL ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P

yes it is a report that is viewed in calendar view. I am using a published link as a web content widget on our teams dashboard. It was working all last year to open to today's date but now it looks like it is opening up to Feb-Mar 2020.

• RossL
    RossL ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P

That was my original thought so I put a test task in for last week but it still defaults to last year as soon as the latest task is in the past.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @RossL

Yes, I see this as well: if all of the dates are in the past then the Calendar View defaults to the first date in the sheet. If there are any dates that are either today or in the future, the Calendar View defaults to today's date.

You can test this by adding in a row from 2019. If all of your dates are in the past, then the Calendar View will default to the oldest date, the 2019 date. It sounds like your oldest rows are from Feb/Mar of 2020, which is why the default is currently set there.

If you add in one date in the future, perhaps even just an "End of Year" announcement for the end of 2021, this will then make it open to Today. Will that work for you?

• RossL
    RossL ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P

I have just tried this and with a date out in the future it opens to the task in the future rather than today's date. it would be nice if it would always open to today's date.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @RossL

Interesting, I can't replicate that, mine will open to Today.

How about having a rolling task that literally just states what Today's date is? You could use the TODAY function for the date cell, and then set an automation on the sheet to lock rows in the middle of the night (then another one to unlock rows) in order to "re-fresh" the date in that Today cell so it updates each day.

Please also provide feedback to the Product Team about this behaviour in this form, here.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• RossL
    RossL ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P

I will give that a try

Thank you,