How do you attach files from Onedrive?

I attached some word documents to a sheet, and now smartsheet says "The link has expired" when I try to open them from Smartsheet. The funny thing is I'm the owner of the documents, and my onedrive account is set to not let links expire anyway, even if I weren't.

I've tried removing them and reattaching, and it doesn't even let me do that. I can select them to attach, but then nothing appears on the smartsheet.

Any ideas??

Best Answer

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Just got an answer on this from Smartsheet support. #1 worked for me

1. Sign Out of OneDrive
      • Within the OneDrive picker window, you should see your email address listed on the top right of the screen. Click your email and choose the option to "Switch account" to refresh your Smartsheet account's connection with Microsoft.  
        • More details on this can be found in the "OneDrive" section of this resource from our Learning Center: Attach a File or Link From an Online Resource.
        • Please note that this option isn't available if using other online sources such as Google Drive. If you're seeing the same behavior in multiple online source locations when attempting to attach a file, please continue to the next steps. 
    2. Alternate Browser
      • Please sign into Smartsheet using an alternate browser, such as Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer. Note that this is a troubleshooting step and not a resolution.  
        • If the issue does not persist in the alternate browser, please move to step two. 
        • If the issue does persist in the alternate browser, please move to step three.  
    3. Extensions
      • Certain browser extensions can cause interference with Smartsheet. To help isolate the issue, try the following: 
        • Check to see if you have any extensions enabled in Chrome by clicking the Settings icon (three dots in upper right) > More Tools > Extensions.  
          • If yes, temporarily disable each one by de-selecting the Enabled check box.  
            • Once disabled, access Smartsheet again to see if the problem persists. If the problem is resolved, re-enable the extensions selectively to determine which one conflicts with Smartsheet. You may wish to keep any conflicting extensions disabled when working with Smartsheet.

Answers

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, looks like a bug when attaching file to a row from OneDrive (and may be Google Drive too)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/12/21

Hi @Quentin Win

I hope you're well and safe!

How did you attach the word documents? It sounds like you've added the actual files to Smartsheet and not the links from Onedrive.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Morning,

I've verified with other users in my organization and they are experiencing the same problem, so it looks like SK is right and it is some kind of bug with either Smartsheet or Onedrive. I've reached out to Smartsheet support to see if they can help.

Thanks for the help!

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Just got an answer on this from Smartsheet support. #1 worked for me

1. Sign Out of OneDrive
      • Within the OneDrive picker window, you should see your email address listed on the top right of the screen. Click your email and choose the option to "Switch account" to refresh your Smartsheet account's connection with Microsoft.  
        • More details on this can be found in the "OneDrive" section of this resource from our Learning Center: Attach a File or Link From an Online Resource.
        • Please note that this option isn't available if using other online sources such as Google Drive. If you're seeing the same behavior in multiple online source locations when attempting to attach a file, please continue to the next steps. 
    2. Alternate Browser
      • Please sign into Smartsheet using an alternate browser, such as Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer. Note that this is a troubleshooting step and not a resolution.  
        • If the issue does not persist in the alternate browser, please move to step two. 
        • If the issue does persist in the alternate browser, please move to step three.  
    3. Extensions
      • Certain browser extensions can cause interference with Smartsheet. To help isolate the issue, try the following: 
        • Check to see if you have any extensions enabled in Chrome by clicking the Settings icon (three dots in upper right) > More Tools > Extensions.  
          • If yes, temporarily disable each one by de-selecting the Enabled check box.  
            • Once disabled, access Smartsheet again to see if the problem persists. If the problem is resolved, re-enable the extensions selectively to determine which one conflicts with Smartsheet. You may wish to keep any conflicting extensions disabled when working with Smartsheet.

• Thanks SK, that works, partially.

After completing step 1, I can now add new documents to the sheet. However, documents that were already on the sheet are still unopenable. I can fix this by deleting them and readding them from Onedrive, but if this is something that will need to be done regularly its not too sustainable (100+ documents)

Steps 2 and 3 didn't do anything, I had already tried on different browsers and computers.

What I will do is replace all the documents, and see if it happens again. Hopefully it was just a random issue, if not I guess I'll have to find some other solution.

Thanks for all the help!

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, that's interesting and yes agree with the concern on documents that were already linked. Will see if I can still update the ticket and let Smartsheet support team know.

• Experiencing this and unable to rectify using SK advice - I cannot "switch account"...on pressing this button a windows authentication dialog opens/ closes and I am back to where I was. This is show stopping for one of our expansion plans for Smartsheet. Hoping support resolves asap.