Only want child task ranges in calendar view (start-end date) w/o summary task row ranges.

Options
Sarah Donnelly
Sarah Donnelly ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 02/16/21 in Formulas and Functions

We have a large project management sheet with several levels of hierarchy and many summary rows and child rows. We want our staff to be able to use calendar view to easily visualize how their tasks lay out over the course of the month and where they may overlap. (i.e., staff can see where they may need to work on two activites in the same week.)

I've changed the Calendar Settings date options to display date ranges and I unchecked the Display Summary Task box (screen shot 1) but I keep getting the summary tasks shown in the calendar view (screen shot 2). I'm concerned maybe we can't use this feature of Smartsheet due to the levels of hierarchy we need in our sheet (screen shot 3). Has anyone run into this before and is there a workaround?

screen shot 1- unchecked display summary tasks in Calendar Settings

screen shot 2 - Still getting Summary Tasks in Calendar View :-(

screen shot 3 - Grid view underlying project management sheet hierarchy

Answers

• markkrebs
    markkrebs ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

have you investigated the calendar app add on? Much better than the OOB calendar!

• Sarah Donnelly
    Sarah Donnelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm hoping to learn why the SS calendar settings option aren't working the way they should and are still displaying Summary Tasks. If it's something in the sheet that we can change. OR if it's something we can't change due to other reporting and linked metric sheet needs, we will go back only showing the task start date in the calendar view for this sheet.

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @sdonnelly

Have you tried adding an Ancestor or Hierarchy column? You could add a column like that and add the =COUNT(ANCESTORS()) column formula. Then you could set the filter on calendar view to only show the level Hierarchy you need to see.

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but it could be a solution here.

Have a great day!

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!