Using links within workflow messages to recipients

Hi community,

When sending alerts and requesting updates via automated workflows, is there some way to embed URL so that it is clickable, into the customized message. E.g. another persons email address or a document saved on SharePoint or OneDrive.

Thanks,

Janelle

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/22/21

Hi @Janelle Chard 

Hope you are fine, the following article will give you full details about your question Create a Hyperlink to a Sheet, Report, or Website

Create a Hyperlink in a Cell

1. Right-click on the cell where you want to insert a hyperlink and select Hyperlink.
    2. The Hyperlink window appears.
    3. TIP: You can also select the cell and use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + K (Command + K on a Mac) to open the Hyperlink window.
    4. Select the Link to URL or the Link to other Smartsheet option.
      • Link to URL: If you select this option, type the web address of the website to which you are linking (e.g., abcwebsite.com). Smartsheet automatically adds “http://”.
      • NOTE: The URL is limited to 900 characters. Links to internal servers (Microsoft SharePoint servers, for example) are not supported.
      • Link to Other Smartsheet: If you select this option, click <select sheet>. The Open a Sheet form appears. Select the sheet to which you want to link, and click OK.
      • NOTE: Sheet links will not appear in a published sheet. Public access to a sheet can only be offered by linking to a the published URL for the sheet.
    5. Enter or edit the text in the Display Text field.
    6. NOTE: This field is required if you selected the Link to other Smartsheet option. If you selected the Link to URL option and do not enter anything in this field, it displays the URL.
    7. Click OK.

The cell text is a live link to the website or other sheet.

NOTE: URLs that you enter directly into a cell will also appear as clickable live links.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Hello Bassam,

What I am looking to do is add links within customized messages that are sent out with Request Update workflows. Like "If you have any questions please contact <emailaddress>." and reference a guiding document so they can select this from within the email notification they receive.

Janelle

• brianmorgs
    brianmorgs ✭✭✭

I would love to know the same! Also, rich text for automated messages would be really nice in 2022.

• @Janelle Chard did you ever get a solution to this as we are trying to something similar?

• Andrea Westrich
    Andrea Westrich ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for the same if there is an update as to how to do this.

• Too bad there's not a flag for "this didn't answer my question".

• Hi all,

Currently there are no rich text options from within the custom body of a workflow message, as you've found. However a spelled out URL will be clickable:

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Yesenia
    Yesenia ✭✭

I'm having a hyperlink issue in an automated workflow alert. I receive the notification in smartsheets that the automation has been triggered however the email is never actually received. It will not send when I include the following link, are there any restrictions for links to be included? i.e. it will not sent .net links? etc? As soon as I take the link out, the alert goes through to the email. I'm at about 1200 characters so I'm not exceeding the limit. Any insight is appreciated.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Yesenia

I hope you're well and safe!

As far as I know, there aren't any restrictions, and it sounds more like an internal firewall might be blocking it or similar.

Have you tested sending it to an email outside your company domain to see if it works?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Yesenia
    Yesenia ✭✭

Thanks @AndréeStarå

I was able to delete the "www." portion of the URL and that seemed to do the trick. Although, I'm still not sure why as other links work with that included.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Yesenia

Excellent! Glad you got it working! (I think it's an internal firewall issue/setting)

Happy to help!

Please support the Community by marking your post with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• What I noticed is if you put the link at the very beginning of your message, it will arrive in the destination inbox as a link.