Update Sheet 1, Based on Submission to Sheet 2

Options

I have a quick question. I have 2 sheets (Sheet 1 and Sheet 2). In Sheet 2, users submit a form and a field (which is hidden) is automatically checked indicating it's been submitted. What I'm wanting to do is - essentially - notify Sheet 1, that a user submitted something on Sheet 2.

My first thought, is to use a VLOOKUP between the sheets, but I'd like to stay away from that if possible. Any other solutions that might work?

Answers

• Danielle Roach
    Danielle Roach ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Use the copy row function - note the column names will have to match or it will add the unmapped columns to the end of sheet 2

• Mike Rini
    Options

Thanks. That would work, but Sheet 1 already has a mirrored row, with all the same data in it, that Sheet 2 is receiving.

What's happening is that, people submit a form in Sheet 1, that in turn creates a dynamic/query URL for them to then re-submit (essentially) the same data in Sheet 2 (there's a logical reason why). When the information hits Sheet 2, I'd like Sheet 1 to know.

I have a VLOOKUP, and it works, but I just don't love them because they can break so easily if you move a row.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Mike Rini

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Danielle's excellent advice/answer.

When you say the VLOOKUP break, what do you mean?

I'd recommend using a combination of INDEX/MATCH instead. It's more secure and takes fewer resources.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Rini
    Options

Sorry, when I say break, I mean if somebody moves a column around or something like that. They're nice, but if you have to span 50 columns, and the sheets grows in length (in terms of rows), it can get taxing

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!