User getting two emails when request is approved

Hello,

Has anyone experienced someone getting two emails when an approver approves a task? We have a PTO tracking application where an employee submits a form to request PTO. When the row is added it triggers an approval request go to their approver.

When the approver approves the request, the users are getting two emails instead of just one.

Here is a screen shot of my workflow, it is very simple. When a new row is added, send an approval request to the approver. If approved, notify the user or if declined notify the user. On approval our users are getting the email twice.

Andrea Zenner

Program Manager | Infrastructure & Operations

Apogee Enterprises

EAP | Mobilizer | Core Product Certified | Superstar

azenner@apog.com

Answers

• Hi @Andrea Zenner

Do you have other workflows set up in the same sheet? You may receive duplicate alerts if approval columns and values are re-used across workflows (see the bottom of this article: Approval Workflow Behavior).

If you do have multiple approval workflows, I would suggest using different approval columns for each workflow (edit workflow > approval action block > save response in).

You can also use different approval values for each workflow (edit dropdown column properties > add new dropdown values > edit workflow > approval action block > advanced options > customize status and buttons > "save status as" new values).

Let me know if another workflow was the cause or not!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Andrea Zenner
    Andrea Zenner ✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P I do have a couple workflows using the approval field so that must be my issue. I use it once for the first time people want approval and again when they request changes.

I'll try using the different approval values as you suggest and let you know how it works!

Thanks much,

Andrea

Andrea Zenner

Apogee Enterprises

azenner@apog.com

• Mary Beth B.
    Mary Beth B. ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have a similar issue where I have a form with two workflows and each workflow is triggered by a specific Business Unit and the other trigger is all the rest. The workflow approval emails go to two separate people and that works well, however when the request is approved or denied the requester will receive two emails (one for each BU area. Not sure how to fix this?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mary Beth B.

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrea Zenner
    Andrea Zenner ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mary Beth B. For your approval are you using the same approval status field for both? If so, add another field for the second approval so they are not using the same field.

Example: Approval from approver 1 goes to "Approval Status 1" field, Approval from approver 2 goes to "Approval Status 2" field.

Andrea Zenner

Apogee Enterprises

azenner@apog.com

• Mary Beth B.
    Mary Beth B. ✭✭✭✭

Ahhh, let me try that. I must have had that and removed the field because I swear this didn't happen when I first tested the form. Thank you!

• Mary Beth B.
    Mary Beth B. ✭✭✭✭

@Andrea Zenner I forgot to reply and tell you that it worked. But now I have a different issue. I created a new field (and workflow to support it) when I need to request more information on the form that was submitted. When I check a box (More Info needed) an email to the Requester is triggered, asking them for more information. However, if they respond and I still need more info, I can't get the email to go out again. I tried editing the comment and rechecking the box and hitting save but this one user isn't getting the email. Any idea what i might be doing wrong? I have attached some screenshots .