Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Status notifications to clients

Options
Haithem
Haithem
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hello all,

I am a new smartsheet user :)

Can you please let me know if their is a way to send a customer the status of an order through smartsheet, i am trying to making it automatic from the order date when it is placed until the order is completed up to keep the customer informed and updated?

and i need this to be sent direct to a client without registering and setting up an account with smartsheet via email.

Thank you

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Haithem,

That last requirement makes it harder.

1. Alerts (Reminders and Notifications) require the user to be shared to the sheet.

2. Send Row does not allow scheduled/repeated automated sends

3. A Report could be built and automaticallly and periodically sent, but that requires a Report per customer and probably is not feasible.

4. Update Requests get around all of those, but  have other problems. For example, the user will be able to modify the data, not just view it. A locked row can not be used for a UR and locked columns are ignored.

Unless I have missed something, I don't see a way to do this natively within Smartsheet.

I would likely build something using a third party automation tool like Zapier (www.zapier.com). It would be pretty simple to set up.

Craig

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well described Craig, one more idea to explore could be using a Report and choose the " Send as an attachment" selection then send in PDF or Excel and schedule it. That will allow your client to see an update fixed in time, without having to Share the Master sheet. ( the option is email shared users which is no good for you) 

The only other idea would be a Report for each Client and "Publish it" so they see a Real time Report that is un-editable by sending them the Unique URL. 

That could work for orders as they continue to flow and be delivered, so pretty automatic? 

Hope one of Craig's or my suggestions get you what you seek? 

RichardR 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Richard,

Good points. 

Craig

• Haithem
    Options

Thank you so much for your input from all of you it was very helpful

This discussion has been closed.