% complete estimation issue

Hi everyone ,

Happy Easter !

I am a bit concerned with tracking project progress with SMARTSHEET.

I understand that Smartsheet project planning principle is based on duration, and that way a task wich lasts much is more weighed than a task which takes less time.

But in real life , it is not often the case , to prove this , check my example regarding the construction of a kitchen in concrete structure .

In that case , even if the finishing works take more time than the structure works , the structure works is more costly and require more ressources .

So in this view , completing the structure works means logically that the overall project has high percentage complete , but in my example , when the structure works are over , the overall project is just 31 % complete , that's a non-sense in my contexte .

So I would like to know if someone can suggest me a workaround . 

Thanks in advance .

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @ALAIN-STEPHANE

Hope you are fine, i advise you to add the following helper columns to calculate the actual progress:

1- Actual cost to date,

2- Progress = Actual cost to date / Budgeted Cost

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @ALAIN-STEPHANE

Hope you are fine, i advise you to add the following helper columns to calculate the actual progress:

1- Actual cost to date,

2- Progress = Actual cost to date / Budgeted Cost

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• ALAIN-STEPHANE
    ALAIN-STEPHANE ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Bassam.M Khalil ,

Thanks for your reply .

It's an idea that I will consider , but it means the % complete column will not be useful anymore .

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ALAIN-STEPHANE 

No, you can use  % complete but for sure not to determine the weight of the activities. Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer.

PMP Certified