Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Formula to change date based on adjacent drop down menu

Options
Grant Harvey
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I'm trying to set up a tool inventory, to help keep track of the location of all our big ticket items.

I've created a row for each tool.  Asides from various descriptive colums, I have one column set as a drop down list (listing the numerous job sites the tool might be pulled to).  I also have a Date Pulled column, to show when the tool was moved.

I want the "date" column to automatically populate to "today's" date whenever the drop down menu changes (regardless of what it changes to). 

Any suggestions on a formula?  I'm fairly clueless to smartsheet formulas and functions beyond the basics.

Cheers

Comments

• Scott Willeke
    Options

Hi Grant,

If I understand what you want, you could use a formula along the lines of the following one in your "Date Pulled" column:

=IF(ISBLANK(Location1), "", TODAY())

Also good to keep in mind things like Cell History, which can tell you when and who changed the "tool location" value.

Hope this helps.

Scott

• Grant Harvey
    Options

Hey Scott, 

Thanks for the suggestion.  

I gave that a shot, but realized I would need to change the numerical location # for each row.  Also, the "location" would never be blank, but either at our shop or job site.  But that didn't seem to affect the formula for how I used it.

For now, I'm just using a date system column which auto populates the date modified.  A little clunky but I will see how it pans out.

This discussion has been closed.