Copy the same row multiple times through automation

Hello All,

I have built an automation workflow after a Checkbox is checked to copy the row and move it to another one. The source sheet and the destination sheet are 2 steps in our process workflow but I the first step is typically done multiple times. This requires the operator to check the box to move it the first time. Then when the same row needs to be copied again, they uncheck the box, save, check it again and then save to copy the row to the next sheet. This is a bit cumbersome and I was wondering if there is a way to make this smoother.

The process workflow is designed around additional processing of a single lot of material. However we do not process the entire raw lot all at once but in small batches. After the additional processing has been completed, a new processed lot ID is given that helps differentiate it from the other times it has been processed but they all keep the same original raw lot ID.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Joseph Adams

I hope you're well and safe!

I have some ideas.

How long time would go before you'd need to copy the row again?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Joseph Adams
    Joseph Adams ✭✭✭✭

Hello Andree,

We dont need to copy the same row over to the next process step but once a week or every other week.

Above is a screen shot of the sheet in question. We have previously sent Raw Lot OA10076 over to the second sheet for polishing where we record additional information and give that lot a polishing lot ID. It still retains the original Raw lot ID for tracking purposes to know what stock it came from.

In the coming days we will need to polish more of this same raw lot. The current method is to uncheck this box. Save the sheet. Then recheck it to copy the row again. The automation is tied to the checking of this box. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

• Hello,

Did you get an answer to your Question? Cause I have the same problem and also need help.

Thanks!

• Joseph Adams
    Joseph Adams ✭✭✭✭

Yes this I was able to find a solution using the Change Cell value action. I created an automation that every time the checkbox is checked, it will copy the row and then change cell value to be unchecked. Pretty simple actually.