Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Dependent Drop Down Lists

Options
Thaykin
Thaykin
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I need to create dependent drop down lists. We are dealing with multiple categories that then have many subcategories each. In Excel I can create a dependent drop down where if the value of cell B3 is Accessories, then the only choices I have in cell C3 are the accessories subcats. Obviously one can manually choose the subcat but with going on 220 categories and subcategories, it would be easier to tie them together. I looked within this site and cannot find this utility and have seen other asking as well. Does it just not exist? Is there a hack? Can we make it exist? Thanks!

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/04/17
    Options

Thaykin

as things stand, this is not available withing Smartsheet, it is conditonal logic and requires the logic of connecting Tables together to work. 

It is readily available in Smartsheet by using Appsheet as the Data integration tool that provides the User Interface that manages those tables in such a way that the outcome is what you seek..... Conditional Logic. 

All the data can stay in Smartsheet or you can mix sources with some in Excel of Google Sheets which can add further value and the outcome is in Smartsheet where you want it to be. 

This system also provides the filters that mean viewers/editors can be restricted in what they see, which is another Big Ask of the DEv team at Smartsheet. 

The cost is not expensive so providing your need can find some budget, then you will like what you see. We have been supplying this solution to clients for over a year now with great results. 

Happy to supply a demo as part of our Free initial consultation. 

RichardR@smarterbusinessprocesses.com 

email me if you wish? 

• Thaykin
    Thaykin
    edited 04/04/17
    Options

Thanks Richard Rymill SBP! I appreciate the clear answer. I don't know if the folks I am working with are willing to spend on it but I will ask. It's a little frustrating that this great tool is missing a huge functionality like that. I thought it was conditional logic and then when I tried it in the sheet, it was formatting not logic... oops! :) 

I am not a developer (and I don't even pretend to play one on tv) but I would hope it would be a reasonable request and fix. I was actually surprised when I made the column dropdowns that the data field was right there and not on a sheet somewhere. Anyway, I suppose that makes it easier for a casual user.

I will check out your product! Thanks!

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Options

No problem Thaykin you are welcome. 

Richardr

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Options

No problem Thaykin you are welcome. 

Richardr

• Richard Rymill SBP