Automatically Send Form Submission IF user does not select Send e a copy of my responses.

Hello,

I have a form for users to enter weekly data. At the bottom, we have enabled Send email of Submissions. (see attached settings). Users need this data for a weekly meeting, so we want them to use this.

How can I make this required or if they forget to check that box and email themselves a copy, an automation runs to send them a copy?

I have the automation set up to run, but I don't want both to happen and they get 2 emails I want an either-or. I'd prefer to make it a requirement to send a copy, but the default is "Allow submitter".

Any idea how to do this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There is a way to adjust the URL to have that box defaulted to checked within the form.

Take a look at the "TIP" on #4, and that should be exactly what you are looking for... Then provide them with the new URL.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Andrea Westrich
    Andrea Westrich ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome, that is PERFECT!!! Thank you so very much!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

Just remember that if you open the form through the sheet, because the URL is not the same, the box will not be automatically checked. So if you need to resend the URL later down the road you will want to be sure to get this modified URL as opposed to getting it from the sheet.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• YZ_123
    YZ_123 ✭✭
    edited 06/02/22

Hi @Paul Newcome ,

I looked at the TIP you shared but can't figure out how to update the URL so that "send me a copy of my responses" is always checked. Any chance you can help?

Thanks.

EDIT: I don't want to enter a default email address as each user would need to input their own. Only want to make that field mandatory.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @YZ_123

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd recommend removing the field from the form and adding another field/column instead and setting that as required.

You could then add a Workflow combined with an Alert to automatically trigger from the submission and send the submitter the information in the Alert.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• YZ_123
    YZ_123 ✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå

Thank you for your quick response!

It is a good solution although I am phasing a couple hiccups. Maybe you can suggest an alternative?

I did create a new column and set up an automation - all working fine. My issue is with the content of the email sent back to the submitter of the form.

Option 1 "message only" : there seem to be a character limit - I really need a complete copy of the responses to be sent to the user for auditing purposes

Option 2 "links to sheet and specific fields": due to ethical walls, we cannot share the link to the sheet with the users.

Is there a way to increase character limit and/or block users from viewing the sheet when they have access to the link?

Option 3 that I tested is the modified URL and in the default email I used @[companyname].com each user would have to update it. My issue with that is the user is still able to uncheck the field and thus decline to receive a copy.