Mitigating users deleting and accidentally sorting/saving rows - will this work?

Options

With all the discussions with multiple editors accidentally deleting rows or sorting, then saving rows so that it messes up workplans, I'm a little scared of what could happen and have already seen it on a small scale, so can't image what will happen when we onboard multiple editors and projects.

With my previous MS Project and Excel files, I would always save them as "[PROJECT NAME]: Workplan wk of [date]". I recognize that for reports and dashboards to work, I can't follow this format now for the current version, but was planning to save my primary sheet (workplan) "As New" every week into an archive folder using the "Week of [date]" format so that I have a backup (I don't find the current SmartSheet backup system useful with the comments being on a different tab, losing some of the formatting, etc.). Is there any downside to this?

Tags:

Answers

• Francesca Radabaugh
    edited 05/03/21
    Options

@Teresa Suranyi I don't know the answer to your question, but to your point, it would also be helpful to be able to restrict editing on a sheet by user (allow/disallow editing to certain fields, etc.) I have found that locking columns/rows doesn't quite work because it locks it for all users, not just certain people.

But, directly related to your question, it would be great to be able to go back to a "snapshot in time" view of the sheets for a period of time in case of emergency.

• Teresa Suranyi
    Teresa Suranyi ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Francesca Radabaugh Yes, would love to lock down certain fields and take snapshots. I've already submitted as suggestions for improvements.