What is the difference between "My Smartsheet Contacts" and unlicensed users on "User Management"?

05/05/21
Answered - Pending Review

Hi, I have been adding team members onto my projects via the "Contact List" in my "Assigned To" column and can see them in my "My Smartsheet contacts". However, I was then reading that I could add unlicensed "Users" via "User Management" and noticed that my Smartsheet contacts aren't there. Do I need to add them to both the user management as well as contacts? What is the difference and benefit of one over the other?

Thanks!

Tags:

Answers

• Hi @Teresa Suranyi

Users in User Management

If you are a System Admin for your organization, you can add specific Smartsheet Users to your Organization's Plan (either as Free members or Licensed users, see: Account-Level User Types for Multi-User Plans).

This then allows you a little bit of control over their accounts as an Admin in the User Management section. For example: you can send them reset password links, add secondary emails to their account, export a list of sheets that email has access to, and even remove their sharing access to items (see: Manage Users in a Multi-User Plan).

You can set specific security measures for users who are a part of your plan, such as limiting attachment types or publishing options (see: Admin Center: Manage Security & Controls).

Additionally, users who are added as members of your plan can be tracked as resources in Resource Management, if you have this enabled on your Project Sheets (see: Resource Management and Allocation).

My Contacts & Contacts in a Contact Column

Users in your plan are automatically added as Contacts. However, if you wanted to collaborate with users from other organizations, or even people that don't have a Smartsheet account, you can add these emails as your "My Contacts" (see: Manage Contacts in the My Smartsheet Contacts List)

These are contacts you can put in a Contact Column to send automated emails to, or share sheets, etc. You can create a Contact Group out of these emails if you want to quickly share items to a group of people without specifying individuals (see: Manage and Use Smartsheet Contact Groups).

However you have no ability to edit or manage their account. Does that make sense?

Let me know if I can clarify anything further for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve