Dashboard Chart from a grouped / summarised report.

Hello!

I have created a report, and used group and summary to show the count of each value in status:

I have then created a new dashboard and added a chart widget pointing at that report:

The dashboard seems ok with this and allows me to edit and manipulate the options...

However...

When I click save, the widget is broken! and doesn't display! 🤨

It's not an admin issue as the widget suggests, I am the system admin...

Here's the error in the old view

Can anyone help me find a fix to this problem please ?

Thanks

Steve

Best Answer

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Steve Hyde

Hope you are fine, did you checked the source data for your chart?

if you like please share me as an admin to this workspace and i can fix it for you.

My Email: Bassam.k@mobilproject.it

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Hi @Steve Hyde

Our team is currently working on the functionality to create Chart Widgets out of Grouped and Summarized Reports, however this is not yet released.

There should be a small note at the top of your Source Selection window when you click on the Report which clarifies this:

That said, they recently were able to release the functionality of displaying Grouping and Summary in a Report widget, if that would help! See: Grouping and Summary in Report Widgets

If you'd prefer to create a Chart, the way I would do this is to create a "Metric Sheet" which has cross-sheet formulas creating calculations, then using this sheet as the source for the chart. Let me know if you'd like to go down this route and I'm happy to help create those formulas.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Thanks for the responses!

Genevieve

That's useful and thanks for the pointers... I think it's a little confusing that the system allows you go a ways towards creating the graph, only to prevent it when you're done editing, perhaps that should be locked off until ready.

In terms of the metric sheet, I am familiar and have done this multiple times.

In this scenario I am looking to count totals for cell values over multiple sheets and workgroups and for this to be dynamic as more sheets / projects are added so as to create a live view of what we have in planned (workgroup) or moved into delivery (workgroup) so in that use case its not practical to create and manage that formular; the summary count is ideal to solve that.

I'll take a look at your links and see what I can achieve, whilst we await the full functionality.

Thanks again!

Regards

Steve Hyde.

• Hi Steve,

I understand; I was actually surprised to see that it shows a chart in the preview, I can see how this is misleading.

Based on your description, I can see how the Report summary option is the best way to gather this data. I don't have an ETA for when this may be released, but I'll make sure to come back to this thread and let you know once these summaries can be used for charts.

Thanks,

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

@Steve Hyde

This feature has now been released! You can now create Chart Widgets from the top Summary rows from a Grouped Report. See: Charting using Grouping and Summary

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thank you very much for confirming that Genevieve! Good news indeed.

Steve