Why can't I add chart data?

I want to make a chart, however, I can't seem to add any valid data into dashboard. The referenced data is greyed out (see picture) and if I press OK, then a red text comes up saying; "Selected data cannot be charted. Please select a new range".

How do I solve this issue?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Frederik Soerensen

I hope you're well and safe!

It's not working because you can't create a chart with the values.

The chart widget supports charting only for the following column types:

Text/Number: Values must be numbers only

Dropdown List: Numbers only, excluding text strings that look like numbers

Auto-Number/System-generated column: Numbers with no Prefix or Suffix (no text)

Symbols: Numbers only (symbols can't be charted)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• So, if we have checkbox columns or text dropdown lists that list a status of some type, we can't have a chart that shows how many rows have a checkbox checked, or the aggregate sums of status, or anything along those lines?

• Hi @Alex Vantaggiato

Yes, you can get a chart like this! However you wouldn't be able to simply look at the raw, source data: you would need an interim step to gather that data and turn it into numbers, first.

For example, you could create a Report, then GROUP by the Checkbox column, then SUMMARIZE to count how many are checked versus not, and use that Report as the source (since it will create numbers from your text/checkboxes).

See: Redesigned Reports with Grouping and Summary Functions

Or you could create a "metric sheet" and use a cross-sheet COUNTIFS function to create numbers based on criteria. Then you would use the sheet with formulas as your source.

See: Create cross sheet references to work with data in another sheet and COUNTIFS Function

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now