Duplicating Rows on purpose

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out a way to create multiple entries on a grid with one entry from a form. I thought about creating "duplicate" tables that would simply receive the data from the form and then move it to the destination form. My concern is I would need to have the same number of tables to perform the move automation as I would like instances on the grid.

I basically have four venues and when an employee is hired into any of them, they're hired into all. I also considered writing an if statement that would change based on the venue chose but I'd still need a number of tables to duplicate the information. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Khari

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/02/21

Hi @Khari Shiver

I hope you're well and safe!

I have an idea, but I haven't had time to explore it in detail/test it out.

In short.

• Create a so-called helper sheet that holds the different options
    • Form submits to another sheet or the helper sheet
    • IF another sheet, move row to helper sheet
    • Check for a number/id that tells the helper sheet what should be copied to the other sheet.
    • If found, a parent rows box gets checked, or similar
    • Triggers copy row workflow for the parent to the other sheet, and it includes all the children

Make sense?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic 4th of July weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Khari Shiver
    Khari Shiver ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Andree,

Thank you for your suggestion. I ended up employing additional sheets with values hard codes into certain cells. Once the row hit the additional sheet, it updated the necessary value and moved it to the destination sheet.

At some point, I may revisit it with an IF statement but for now this works. I have to stop myself sometimes from trying to solve a more difficult approach when a simpler one will work.

Thanks for your input.

Khari

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Khari Shiver

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Amy Bedard
    Amy Bedard ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi- I know this is an old thread, but...hopefully you will get a notification. We need to make it easy for someone to copy a row on the same sheet. We created the helper sheet to move it off and back on again. The issue is that we want it to assign a new number when it moves back to the main sheet. The Auto Number is causing problems. We can get it moved back but can't change the number (it keeps the original).

Thank you.

• Courtney S.
    Courtney S. ✭✭✭✭✭

In case it's helpful, comments about the details of using a helper sheet are in this older post on the same topic: Using an Automation to Duplicate a Row in the Same Sheet — Smartsheet Community