Simple Copy and Paste from Excel not working

Options

Hi All

Any help would be appreciated.. The issue I have is that I am trying to do a straight forward copy and paste that I do every month from Excel to Smartsheet does not seem to want to work for this month..

1. The columns are matching and not extra data is in the Excel doc
  2. I copy the row from the cell on the left to where I need to using Ctrl + C
  3. Go into Smartsheet and Ctrl +V to paste where I want the data and
  4. NOTHING or only one row is pasted.

There are some locked columns but as an Admin/ Owner I have been able to do this in the past without issues.

Also using Chrome browser and logged out, cleared cookies and still having issues.

I was able to use IE and have the data working for one smartsheet but now still having issues with another sheet and neither of the browsers are working..

HELP!!!!

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @roshni verappan

Hope you are fine, please try the following to check if the problem is caused by your sheet.

Copy the data from excel and paste it in new fresh sheet.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi

I have just spent 3.5 days on an issue like this. All was OK and then only 2.5 rows were copying. Then nothing would work and I had to logout of smartsheet & log back in again for another try.

I am an admin & licenced user.

Had loads of suggestions re Windows 10 from support but nothing worked and they couldn't replicate the problem. We also found an article with a copy paste issue, you can check this link Copy and Paste Not Working on Windows 10 

Then breakthrough - another file did work then it stopped working

Finally I tracked it down. On one of my fields I had a dropdown list and the Restricted was checked. In and amongst the data I was copying was a value for this field that was not in the restricted dropdown list. It gave no warning message and did copy in the value to this field (making us look elsewhere) and the "fell over" and we had to log out and then back in again.

I have now removed the restriction and it is all back to working again OK.

I have reported back to support that I believe a) there should be an error or warning message and b) it should not fall over & require a log out/in so error handling needs improvement.

Hope this helps and best of luck

Sue

Sue Rogers

AmerisourceBergen - MWI Animal Health

Business Analyst

• Savannah O
    Options

@SueinSpain - THANK YOU for this explanation. I'm running into the exact same issue. It's so weird... because I didn't have this issue two weeks ago! I removed the restrictions from my sheet and all my data pasted in.

Good luck :)

-Savannah