Change Cell Value Automation - flag or symbols

Frank Falco
Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 07/09/21 in Smartsheet Basics

I am wondering why you cannot set the value of a flag or symbol using the Cell Change Value Automation?

I cannot see how to do it.

I have a flag column that I want to let the users manually set to highlight what needs to be looked at and also have the flag set automatically when certain conditions are met.

I can't use a formula for this as the user would not be able to manually set it without wiping the formula.

Is there a way to do this or is there a plan to include flag/symbols in the automation?

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Frank Falco

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Add so-called helper columns for the user to set a flag and another one for the conditions and then set the original one to reference the helpers with a formula.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Frank Falco
    Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your response @Andrée Starå but the helper column approach does not work for this use case. I want to be able to set flag conditions using the set cell automation if there is nothing set and still allow the user to change it.

Is this going to be added to the automation capability?

I cannot understand why is it not included.

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• I'd like to vote for this feature as well. I want the users to set stoplight colors (RYG) manually for each task/row, but then have automation change it to gray for complete (if not already done by the user) based upon the selection in a status dropdown column. Seems pretty easy based upon all the other automation options.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @GWaite WD

We now have an automated workflow you can use to Change Cells in a sheet. This means you could have the column be manually selected, but then set up a workflow to change the cell to Gray, triggered when the Status turns to Complete! See: Change the Value of a Cell in an Automated Workflow

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P. and @GWaite WD

Unless I am mistaken, the "Change Cells" automated workflow does not list a symbol column as an option... In my sheet, I am using the RYGB symbols in the STATUS column to represent the status of a Purchase Order. I tried to use the "Change Cells" workflow to have the Yellow circle change to Green when a value is inserted in the PO# column for that row. However, the drop-down list of columns provided under "Change Cells" lists every column in my smartsheet except the STATUS column. Does this workflow exempt symbol-only columns?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @M. E. Smith

My apologies for not clarifying, yes, you are correct - currently Symbol columns aren't included as a column-type to auto-fill with the Change Cell Workflow (see a list of column-types for that workflow here).

What you could do is set up a Text/Number column to return the Text value for the Symbol, then have a Symbol column reference it, like so:

=[Helper Column]@row

You can make this formula a column formula so it applies to every row. This will turn the text into a Symbol automatically as it changes in your helper column! Any manual entries will need to be done to the text, but then it will translate over into a symbol in the other column. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Frank Falco
    Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. As I stated in my initial question, the helper and symbol column formula does not address the issue of allowing a user to set the value of the symbol.

Is there a plan to include the symbol column in the set cell value automation?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Frank Falco

I don't know what's on the roadmap for the Change Cell workflow, but I'd suggest subscribing to the Release Notes page so if there is an update you'll be notified.

In the meantime, since the Change Cell workflow can update a Checkbox column, what about using a Checkbox instead of a flag with a Conditional Formatting rule to make the background Red when checked? That way you can both have manual Checkboxes checked as well as an automation rule.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• A Rose
    A Rose ✭✭✭

How about adding a condition to match the flag?

You can change the trigger accordingly (to the filtered condition).

Let me know if that helps,

• blizzardtm
    blizzardtm ✭✭
    edited 04/24/22

Hi @Frank Falco

Poor man's workaround: you can copy & paste emoji text symbols in the text field for values in Single Select Dropdown columns. I use 🟩🟨🟥 to mimic the stop light symbols which allows me to automate them based on triggers in my workflow.

You can search symbols on https://emojipedia.org/ and find basic flags, checks, stars, etc. Not nearly as nice looking as Smartsheet's built in icons, but they'll do in a pinch ;)

Fingers crossed that symbol column automation will be coming soon!

• Hi! Wondering if changing symbol cell values is on the automation roadmap? The flag symbol now appears as a checkbox style option when you set up a new column, so it really looks like it'll have the same functionality as a regular checkbox. But if you use the flag, the column won't appear as an option when you're setting up a Change Cell automation.

I know I could use a regular checkbox instead, but I didn't realize that using a flag would limit my options so much, and now my users are used to the flag.

• MPath
    MPath ✭✭

I find lack of automating a huge caveat. It's kind of the point of having smartsheet, automating and saving ones time (and money).

Continuous Improvement Facilitator in HVAC industry