Why does my alert keep pulling in the parent row?

I have set up an alert to notify me when a row changes, but instead of it just sending me the rows that were changed, it's also including the parent row (ROW 113 in example), where no changes were made.

The 'Objective' column that I'm bringing in uses the =PARENT(OKR@row) formula so that I know which objective the milestone update is referring to, however, this shouldn't impact on whether or not row 113 is reported, correct?

As noted in the screenshot, the alert says 3 rows changed (in yellow) (rows 122-124), but still includes a 4th row, row 113 where no data was changed.

How can I eliminate the parent row from being included in the alert email? Thanks.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Jaykel Torres
    Jaykel Torres Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Shane Sorensen,

I can confirm that this is expected behavior. If a Row is changed and it is a Child Row of a Parent, when an Alert is triggered by it, this will include the corresponding Parent Row within the Automated Email.

We don't currently have the ability to omit the Parent Row from the Automated Email sent out via Alert, but you may submit an Enhancement Request via this form for our Product Team to consider for development. We appreciate your input!

We typically communicate about new or improved features once they've been released. Depending on the nature of the changes, we announce through email, in-product messaging, or via announcements here at the Smartsheet Community.

I hope this helps!

Jaykel

Answers

• Jaykel Torres
    Jaykel Torres Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Shane Sorensen,

I can confirm that this is expected behavior. If a Row is changed and it is a Child Row of a Parent, when an Alert is triggered by it, this will include the corresponding Parent Row within the Automated Email.

We don't currently have the ability to omit the Parent Row from the Automated Email sent out via Alert, but you may submit an Enhancement Request via this form for our Product Team to consider for development. We appreciate your input!

We typically communicate about new or improved features once they've been released. Depending on the nature of the changes, we announce through email, in-product messaging, or via announcements here at the Smartsheet Community.

I hope this helps!

Jaykel