Cross referencing Sheet-formulas

Options

Hi

I want to look up the requestor name ,Department rep,Department Rep(second if applicable) for each Tracking ID from another sheet which contains the names of these department reps.

If a department name is entered the corresponding column should return the name of the rep from the other sheet.

Which is the best function to use:

-INDEX/MATCH

-VLOOKUP

-IF Formula so it can return only that dep rep name?

Pls advise how this could be achieved.

Thanks

Ranjini Walter

Best Answers

• Christopher Pretty
    Christopher Pretty ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Personally, I would use an Index/Match formula to do this. That way if the columns ever change places on the sheet the formula won't break (this could happen with a vlookup since it is counting the columns).

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ranjini Walter

I hope you're well and safe!

I agree with Christopher.

INDEX/MATCH is, in most use cases, the better option because it's more secure when you update/move things around, but also in the way that nobody can modify to view something they shouldn't be able to see.

The structure would look like this.

=INDEX({ColumnWithTheValueYouWantToShow}, MATCH(CellThatHaveTheValueToMatch@row, 
    {ColumnWithTheValueToMatchAgainsTheCell}, 0))

Depending on your country/region, you'll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Christopher Pretty
    Christopher Pretty ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Personally, I would use an Index/Match formula to do this. That way if the columns ever change places on the sheet the formula won't break (this could happen with a vlookup since it is counting the columns).

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Ranjini Walter

I hope you're well and safe!

I agree with Christopher.

INDEX/MATCH is, in most use cases, the better option because it's more secure when you update/move things around, but also in the way that nobody can modify to view something they shouldn't be able to see.

The structure would look like this.

=INDEX({ColumnWithTheValueYouWantToShow}, MATCH(CellThatHaveTheValueToMatch@row, 
    {ColumnWithTheValueToMatchAgainsTheCell}, 0))

Depending on your country/region, you'll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ranjini Walter
    Options

Thank you Chris and Andrée ...I was also thinking about INDEX/MATCH...but my only concern was that If a different dep name is entered will it give the corresponding Rep's name?

I am going to try the formula .Will reach out to you for further help in this:)

Thanks

Ranjini Walter

• Ranjini Walter
    Options

Hey Chris and Andree...I wanted to have a formula for a scenario when a department is selected from a drop down it should auto-populate the corresponding Dep rep name:

So if I selected SS&P it should return Jack and Compliance is selected it should return a different name....for that particular Tracking ID

Pls advise how this can be achieved.

Thanks

Ranjini Walter

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!