Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Conditional Formatting: "Today is in-between Start Date and End Date"?

Options

Hi all,

I built a filter to show my tasks that are due today with a green highlight. However, it does not capture tasks that last across several days (see the different shades of green in the attached image - bright green is a "today" task, and the woodland green is default). How can I extend my conditional formatting to include dates in-between my Start and End dates in my filter?

Best Regards,

Caleb

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.png

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.png

Comments

• MattH
    Options

See the first line of the attachment. Is this what you're looking to do?

conditionalformatting.png

• Yes, that helped! Now my problem is that the conditional formatting is reflecting on all of my headers (see image).

Setting "Start in the Past + End in the Future" works well for identifying ongoing tasks on my Gantt Chart, but I am still in search for a way to filter that "Today is between Start and End."

Untitled.png

• MattH
    MattH
    edited 04/21/17
    Options

Are you familiar with the filter menu? Filtering is quite a trivial task; here's the link to the smartsheet introduction page for this feature: 

https://www.smartsheet.com/blog/new-release-save-multiple-filters-enhanced-search-publish-sights

Please see the attachment for an example of what you might use. In most of my filters, I always use "Show parent rows", but you may not want to. (See the first screenshot).

Regarding your header coloring problem: 

Do you have a column that could be used to EXCLUDE these rows? For instance, maybe headers don't have an assigned contact? For my example, I made a new column named "format" which is a checkbox. See the second screenshot for an example of what that might look like. 

To utilize this new column: 

In order to format rows, this column would be checked. (Or, if you flopped the logic in the conditional formatting, unchecked). 

You COULD, if you wish, use a formula to mark this as unchecked if row is a header. This formula might look like this: 

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) > 0, true, false)

For the questions that will inevitably arise surrounding auto filling formulas: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1641473-auto-filling-formulas-and-formatting 

ssfilters.png

ssformating.png

This discussion has been closed.