Lock Cell until conditions are met

Options

Hello, I have a checkbox column called Ready for Production which notifies the relevant persons when an item is checked and ready, I would like to lock or leave cells on this column empty until a number of conditions are met, the conditions are;

1. Drawing Status Column is A - Approved or B - Approved (with comments)
  2. Site Dim Status Column is Confirmed or Work to Hold-to
  3. Costs Approved Column is Yes (symbol column)

Is there a way to do this with Workflows?

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Emmet McKenna

I hope you're well and safe!

You could do it with a Workflow and the Change cell action.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Emmet McKenna
    Emmet McKenna ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Andrée,

Thanks for the quick reply, I didn't think that would work as I didn't want it to automatically "Check" the Ready for Production column if these 3 conditions were met, just that it can't be "Checked" if they are not met.

I've just realised the workaround is that to stop it from being "Checked" until those 3 conditions are met, I can set the workflow that if the condition is not one of the Statuses I need that it will automatically Change the Cell value to "Unchecked". This works ok, the only issue is that it still allows someone to check the box but then the Workflow will "Uncheck" when saved.

I assume there isn't a way to stop the Cell being "Checked" in the first place? Or a way of notifying the person at the time that it can't be "Checked" because these conditions are not met?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Emmet McKenna

Happy to help!

You could add a message in the sheet informing them not to check it and another message if they do or similar.

Would that help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.