Controlling how a sheet is opened

Dale Murphy
Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have a way to open a sheet fully collapsed?

My user wants her sheet collaborators to use a Portal to access the sheet AND wants that sheet to open in a fully collapsed state to make it easy to navigate to the specific quarter of the sheet ("Quarter One" being a parent row for e.g.)

Dale

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Dale Murphy

The sheet will open up to the same collapsed/open state as it was last saved in. For example, if I looked at our shared sheet and opened up the top level of "Quarter One", then saved the sheet, when you open that sheet "Quarter One" will be open.

However if I collapse all the rows so the Parent rows are the only ones showing, then I save the sheet, the next person to look at that sheet will see everything collapsed. (See - Hierarchy: Indent or Outdent Rows)

An alternative would be to use a Report with Grouping instead of a sheet. You can set the default Grouping view to be in a collapsed state each time it's opened. (See - Configure Grouping to Organize Results in Report Builder)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Dale Murphy

The sheet will open up to the same collapsed/open state as it was last saved in. For example, if I looked at our shared sheet and opened up the top level of "Quarter One", then saved the sheet, when you open that sheet "Quarter One" will be open.

However if I collapse all the rows so the Parent rows are the only ones showing, then I save the sheet, the next person to look at that sheet will see everything collapsed. (See - Hierarchy: Indent or Outdent Rows)

An alternative would be to use a Report with Grouping instead of a sheet. You can set the default Grouping view to be in a collapsed state each time it's opened. (See - Configure Grouping to Organize Results in Report Builder)

Cheers,

Genevieve

• DJB
    DJB ✭✭✭
    edited 12/22/23

I wonder if this has changed since the answer. My sheet always opens with all expanded rather than collapsed, even though i collapsed before saving.

Update: only one sheet was opening expanded, but after some playing around, it too started remembering the condition at last saved. i thought maybe because of filters, but could not recreate the condition.