Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Cell linking within the same sheet

Options
sedk
sedk ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have a project where I have a start date and due date for each of my tasks, however on a calendar report sometimes I want the start date to show up on the calendar (when it GOES to reviewers) and sometimes I want the due date to show up on the calendar (when the analysis needs to be COMPLETED).

I've created a summary date variable (CalDate) that I populated appropriately with what I want to show up on the calendar, however I want to be able to update the summary variable on the calendar report and have it update the due date or start date, depending on what it represents.

So, is there a way to create the dynamic cell linking within a sheet? I want to be able to update Due Date and it automatically updates CalDate, however I also want to be able to update CalDate and have it update Due Date accordingly.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

sedk,

This circular logic is not possible from within the GUI.

If you update Cal-Date manually, the formula will be lost.

In addition, if your sheet has dependencies enabled, you won't be able to have a formula in the Start or Due dates. Likewise if dependencies are enabled, updating dates from the API might be tricky too.

It appears you have at least four, perhaps five dates:

1. Start Date

2. Due Date

3. Manual Override for Start Date

4. Manual Override for Due Date

5. Cal-Date

and a column to determine which of 1-4 are used for Cal-Date.

Possible, but needs to be customized for your workflow

Craig

This discussion has been closed.