One project with multiple disciplines

We are starting a project that has multiple disciplines - i.e. a large Engineering group of tasks, a large Sales group of tasks and a large Facilities group of tasks. I was planning to create one project, but my team is advocating for separate sheets for each discipline (Engineering, Sales, Facilities). Is there a best practices approach to this?

And on the flip side, with multiple projects all within one discipline - i.e. ALL Engineering projects, is it better to have all in one sheet or create multiple sheets and then create reports/rollups?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Angie Little

I hope you're well and safe!

It depends on multiple aspects like;

• How many will work on the sheet(s) at the same time?
    • Who should have access?
    • How many projects?

My general recommendation depending on the above would be to have a templatized structure by project.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I have 2 different scenarios.

The first is this:

• How many will work on the sheet(s) at the same time? 2-4 people
    • Who should have access? approximately 8-10 people
    • How many projects? 1 project, but 3 different groups (for lack of a better word). We all need to be on the same page about the overall project schedule (we'll follow the same Milestones), but the tasks within the Engineering group and the people who will access that part of the project are different than the tasks within the Sales group and the people who will access that part of the project. The tasks within the Facilities group will have overlap with both Engineering and Sales and may involve people from both groups.

The second scenario is this:

• How many will work on the sheet(s) at the same time? 2-4 people
    • Who should have access? 20 people
    • How many projects? 18-22 projects

When you state "templatized structure by project" do you mean use the same template but different sheet for each project? I need to be able to create Dashboards to summary data from all of the projects (i.e. qty of tasks by person and due dates, etc.), so my concern was that creating formulas for that across 20-ish projects would be labor intensive. Do you have any suggestions for making that easier?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Angie Little

I hope you're well and safe!

How did it go? Did you manage to get something set up?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.