Why can't I give someone Commenter permissions on a report?

Options

I have several current user reports on a dashboard and I want the users to be able to add comments and attachments to the rows they see. However, when I set the permissions drop down to Commenter, the "Share Report" button at the bottom is grayed out.

All of the users are Commenters on the underlying sheet because that was required in order for Dashboard Viewer to work, but my only option for sharing the report itself is Viewer or Editor?? I don't want them to be able to edit the rows, just add comments and attachments.

What am I missing?

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Sara Henderson

It's great to hear you're already working with the new Commenter permission!

The Commenter level is not available when sharing a Dashboard or Report individually (see the release note on this feature, here). However, when a Dashboard or a Report is within a Workspace, you can share the entire workspace as Commenter level which should allow your collaborators to add comments in the Report, too.

Please feel free to let the Product team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here!

Thanks,

Genevieve

• Bill Ketchel
    Options

I found that if you set the user as Commenter of the sheet and Editor of the Report, it effectively makes them commenter of the Report. Very strange and took me a while to figure out, but it seems to work that way.

Bill