References that were processing all disappeared

Options

Can someone explain to me what happened here? I had 10 references processing this afternoon, I went to check it now a few hours later, and they are all gone, no trace of them! Not to mention it was taking forever for them to process to begin with.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Answers

• Sheryl Roland
    Sheryl Roland ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What do you mean by "references processing"? Can you share an example of your sheet?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Melissa Munoz

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• johngraham78
    johngraham78 ✭✭✭
    edited 10/23/23
    Options

@Melissa Munoz /@Andrée Starå , I just had this problem happen to me, twice today actually. I have 72 external references in my sheet to several other sheets. (RMB, Manage References, Sheet Reference Manager). Not long after creating them, 10 disappeared, so now I'm down to 62. I had 14 referencing a particular sheet, but 10 of those 14 are now gone. They just disappeared as if I never created them.

I'm curious if anyone has ever seen this before? Any resolution?

• EEK
    EEK ✭✭✭
    Options

@Melissa Munoz /@Andrée Starå / @johngraham78

This just happened to me today. Did anyone find a solution?

• johngraham78
    Options

Hi @EEK , I went back and forth with support for about a month and there might be a resolution. According to them, you must use those cross sheet references somewhere in a formula or they are subject to periodic deletion on the back end. They say it is intendent behavior. However, they do not suggest how often this happens, and at times it happens very soon.

For example, I was on a recorded support call with smartsheet, created about 6 references, and within 5 minutes they all disappeared. We checked the log and they were in fact deleted by smartsheet.

Since they've conveyed this to me, however, I have had not issues as I always have the references in formulas.

So, maybe a best practice is to use a cross sheet reference in a formula, then create the reference.

I hope that helps.

• EEK
    EEK ✭✭✭
    Options

That is a huge help! Now I know not to create them too early. Thank you @johngraham78