Understanding "When rows are changed" workflow

Options

I have setup an automation that copies a project row to another sheet when the project phase is changed to Waiting to close. The copy is working but it's creating duplicates and I'm wondering if it's a bug or I am misunderstanding how the function works.

Based on the wording I would expect this Workflow to trigger when the Phase changes to Admin - Waiting to close and it does. However, it also triggers if the Phase is Admin - Waiting to close and any other change is made to the row.

For example, I added a full stop to the problem column below and hit save. The Workflow then triggered and copied the row again.

It seems like the trigger condition is working more like a filter than a condition and as mentioned I'm working if this is expected?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Lee

You are correct, the workflow should only trigger when Phase changes to that specific value. If it's copying rows at other times, is it possible there's another workflow set up on your sheet that's creating the duplicate copy?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have a formula outputting each of the different phases? If so, it could be referencing a cell that is being updated which triggers the formula to run which outputs a "fresh" calculation that just so happens to be the same output as before.

• @Lee
    @Lee ✭✭
    Options

No, it's just a manually selected single choice dropdown. I take it from your response that my expected behaviour is right (or not completely wrong)?

I've put a workaround in place for now but it would be good to understand if this is a bug, poorly worded or something else entirely 🙂

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Lee

You are correct, the workflow should only trigger when Phase changes to that specific value. If it's copying rows at other times, is it possible there's another workflow set up on your sheet that's creating the duplicate copy?

• @Lee
    @Lee ✭✭
    Options

No the workflow pictured above is the only workflow on the sheet. Sounds like it is unexpected behaviour which is good, I'll do some more testing and see if I can figure out if it affects all rows etc