#Invalid Data Type with VLOOKUP

Good day everyone,

I'm trying to use the formula VLOOKUP to pull some information from another sheets, but it shows me #Invalid Data Type.

I have this sheet named "2020 vs 2021 P/Month" and I need the formula to look for revenue on sheet "Rev By Month P/BTC 2020", so when I fill this last one, fills up the information to the sheet "2020 vs 2021 P/Month".

This is the formula that I'm trying to use according an article named "Reference Data from Another Sheet":

=VLOOKUP([Bill To Code]@row, {Rev By Month P/BTC 2020 Range 2}, {Rev By Month P/BTC 2020 Range 3})

I don't know if I'm missing some step, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Yahaira Paredes

The VLOOKUP function requires a range to be selected (so a number of columns, starting with the first column with your matching value and then containing your other column with the value to return). However I see that you have a number of hidden columns between the two you're searching for.

I would suggest using an INDEX(MATCH function instead! This allows you to reference each column individually instead of selecting a range.

An INDEX(MATCH works like this:

=INDEX({Column with value to return}, MATCH([Value to match]@row, {Column with value to match}, 0))

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Yahaira Paredes

The VLOOKUP function requires a range to be selected (so a number of columns, starting with the first column with your matching value and then containing your other column with the value to return). However I see that you have a number of hidden columns between the two you're searching for.

I would suggest using an INDEX(MATCH function instead! This allows you to reference each column individually instead of selecting a range.

An INDEX(MATCH works like this:

=INDEX({Column with value to return}, MATCH([Value to match]@row, {Column with value to match}, 0))

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• It worked!

Thank you very much for your help Genevieve!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!