Adding Months to a Date

Hello! I've been hunting and cannot find a solution to a problem that shouldn't be complicated.

I need to add a varying number of months to a date, and spit out a new date. Specifically: Date Opened + MTE = Expected Completion Date. For the life of me I cannot get it to work. Any ideas?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Devin Lee
    Devin Lee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @EvieSummit

Most likely there are issues around jumping from one year to another. Try something like this:

=IF(MONTH([Date Opened]@row) + [MTE (Months)]@row > 12, DATE(YEAR([Date Opened]@row) + 1, MONTH([Date Opened]@row) - (12 - [MTE (Months)]@row), DAY([Date Opened]@row)), DATE(YEAR([Date Opened]@row), MONTH([Date Opened]@row) + [MTE (Months)]@row, DAY([Date Opened]@row)))

Answers

• Devin Lee
    Devin Lee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @EvieSummit

Most likely there are issues around jumping from one year to another. Try something like this:

=IF(MONTH([Date Opened]@row) + [MTE (Months)]@row > 12, DATE(YEAR([Date Opened]@row) + 1, MONTH([Date Opened]@row) - (12 - [MTE (Months)]@row), DAY([Date Opened]@row)), DATE(YEAR([Date Opened]@row), MONTH([Date Opened]@row) + [MTE (Months)]@row, DAY([Date Opened]@row)))

• EvieSummit
    EvieSummit ✭✭✭

This works!! I also had to change my column type to a date column, now it works like a charm! Thank you so much!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!