Referencing sheets as children of a parent project sheet using hyperlinks

I have template based primary project sheets for which there are multiple support sheets, e.g. BOM, Specifications, Deviations, etc. I would like to provide in-sheet linkage between the sheets. I am manually adding links in a dedicated column for each new project on all the sheets. I would like to somehow provide support sheets associated directly to the parent sheet, or use the master sheet name to auto-populate the cross sheet reference hyperlinks by using a standard naming extension. Is this possible?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dave Bourgeois

I hope you're well and safe!

• The Premium app, Control Center, can automate it completely.
    • Another option (if you haven't already) would be to connect the sheets with a Cross-sheet formula (INDEX/MATCH)

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andree,

I will look into Control Center for that solution.

I know INDEX MATCH From Excel but that will return a value. I am seeking a solution to connect the sheets, to essentially replicate tabs in a workbook, but using a link or other association between sheets. At setup, I would use this to link the sheets, not cells, and then can move freely between master and sub sheets.

Thanks for providing me options to research!

Dave

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave Bourgeois

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Let me know if you'd like to explore Control Center, and I'd be happy to help!

Regarding the linking (if I understand you correctly), you could link the different Smartsheet Items and keep them in a Folder/Workspace, and when you make a copy, it will keep the links connected to the copy.

Make sense?

Would that help/work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Dave Bourgeois
    edited 01/06/22

I will explore. I haven't yet ventured into Workspace other than the quick introduction. I'll get busy and let you know how it goes.

Amended: In my case Smartsheet Item = the entire sheet, not any element within.

E.g.

Primary sheet is a data sheet for a new product, and it contains lots of criteria and tracking, as well as Gantt structure.

The various support sheets are independent sheets that contain detailed data not stored in the master sheet, e.g. the exploded Bill of materials, or another contains a list of the specifications as well as status.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave Bourgeois

Sounds like a plan!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!