Add a Formula to a Cell Using Automations

Is it possible to add a formula to a cell using an automation? I attempted to do this using the Change cell value action, but it only adds the formula as text. The sheet does not recognize it as a formula even though I did start it with an "=".

I'm trying to populate the value of a cell with data from a cell in the same row of another column based on the selection from a dropdown in still another cell in the same row. The problem I have is that there will be more than 60 potential columns from which I may need to populate. This would make for a very long, and difficult to maintain, nested IF statement, so I'd prefer to avoid this route if possible.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Doug Harmonson

I hope you're well and safe!

This might help!

Please have a look at my post below with a method I developed.

More info: 

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks Andree. I'm already using a copy row automation later in the process. It's actually on those sheets in which the row is copied that I need to copy the cell. It's because there are so many columns in my sheets I may need to copy from that I'm trying to find a simpler way to manage. Having said that, your solution gave me an idea as to how I may be able to manage this. I will let you know. Thanks again for the quick and helpful response.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Doug Harmonson

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

This might help!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!