Help with project metric and resource setup

Options
Matt Stewart
Matt Stewart ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

we are not using Resource Management because it is way too manual of a workflow to manage. Instead I am trying to replicate some level of a resource map by doing the following:

there is 4 stage gates that are the primary workload impact for various teams with a specific Start/End for each stage.

Team 1 = Stage 1, Stage 2

Team 2 = Stage 3

Team 3 = Stage 4

Team 5 = Stage 2, Stage 5

SIDE QUESTION: Is there a way to have summary rollups in SCC create multiple line items per project? This way I can have 5 line items for this project, each line item being each of the 5 stage gates sharing the same Start/End columns? This would allow me to see each stage on the same chart and use filters to view team impacts? I can not use "copy/move row" since the dates will fluctuate as development goes on.

Assuming my side question is impossible, i am planning on setting up 5 separate summary sheets so that each one represents the 5 stage gates with their start/end dates and allocations. This way we can filter for specific teams or team members to see a gannt view of exactly what projects they are working on.

QUESTION: Is it possible to use a split gantt view in a report? This would allow us to join the 5 different summaries into a single report, using conditional formatting on the individual sheets to color code the stage gates, and then sort/summarize in the report to give us a great visual of workload impact with ability to filter for time of year and/or team/member. If not, is there any way to do what im trying to do in a Dynamic View or Advanced Calendar View?

Best Answer

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Matt Stewart,

The Gantt view can be used in Reports as you intend, although I am not completely sure I understand what you mean with "split gantt". Below you can see an example on how the solution you propose could potentially look like. Each colored stage in this Report is coming from a different sheet: 

This Report would be based on sheets like the following: 

If you wish every new project to be provisioned with a copy of the sheet containing the roll-ups from Control Center. You could designate this as a Project Template. You can see the "Anatomy of a Sheet Template" in this article for your reference. 

Note that you won't be able to Group/Summarize rows in Reports based on the Primary Column, this is the reason why I've added a "Grouping rollup stages" Column in my source sheets that can then be used to Group the data. 

In addition to this, for the rollup functionality in your sheet to display values, the "sub-tasks" below will need to be filled in first. 

Please include some screenshots of how your project sheets look like if you need further advise on this. Please remember to hide or blur any confidential information in your sheets. 

I hope this can be of help. 

Cheers! 

Julio

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Matt Stewart,

The Gantt view can be used in Reports as you intend, although I am not completely sure I understand what you mean with "split gantt". Below you can see an example on how the solution you propose could potentially look like. Each colored stage in this Report is coming from a different sheet: 

This Report would be based on sheets like the following: 

If you wish every new project to be provisioned with a copy of the sheet containing the roll-ups from Control Center. You could designate this as a Project Template. You can see the "Anatomy of a Sheet Template" in this article for your reference. 

Note that you won't be able to Group/Summarize rows in Reports based on the Primary Column, this is the reason why I've added a "Grouping rollup stages" Column in my source sheets that can then be used to Group the data. 

In addition to this, for the rollup functionality in your sheet to display values, the "sub-tasks" below will need to be filled in first. 

Please include some screenshots of how your project sheets look like if you need further advise on this. Please remember to hide or blur any confidential information in your sheets. 

I hope this can be of help. 

Cheers! 

Julio

• Matt Stewart
    Options

thanks @Julio S. , this got me moving in right direction. appreciate it!