Data transformation during Excel Import

Dear SS community,

I'm exploring the use of Smartsheet for payroll whereby I import 3-4 different and formatted Excel files to SS.

The challenge: the excel files are formatted (think merged columns, etc) and aren't easily convertible to a .csv.

Currently, I have multiple excel macros that strip formatting and walk row-by-row data to accumulate totals and drop them into a separate sheet.

Any reco's for the best approach..? Is it even possible?

Thanks, Jason

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @wiredup

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

• Have you explored using the Premium App, Data Shuttle to automate it?
    • I recently developed an Import sheet solution for a client that could be an option.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andree,

Thank you for your response.. yes, I have looked at Data Shuttle - waiting to get access. I have to wait for sales to get back to me?

Attached is a screenshot... so, i have to "draw out" certain fields: employee name, address, login ID, code, number, etc...

Then, I drop them into rows in another worksheet to for the basis of payroll.

Imagine pulling another sheet that has data in a structured format.. there are no natural columns or headers.

Best, Jason

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wiredup Jason,

Happy to help!

Feel free to reach out at andree@workbold.com, and I'd be happy to help you with the Data Shuttle license and more.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.