Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

The option to change parent row calendar colors when dependencies are enabled

Options
sedk
sedk ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have several tasks in each of my sheets that I want to see in a report for major milestones. I want the different tasks to have different colors.

Right now it is possible to change the color of children rows on the Gantt Chart/Calendar view, however when dependencies are enable, it's not possible to change the color of the parent row.

As a result my team and I have to decide between utilizing dependencies with the benefits of resource management and ease of viewability when sharing important milestones dates with appropriate parties.

Would it be possible to have this option enabled?

Examples are provided below.

dep.png

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 05/02/17
    Options

Hello,

There isn't a way to change the color of the parent task bars in the Gantt chart, they are always grey.

When you have a moment, please submit your idea directly to our Product team via the Enhancement Request Form under the Quick links section—let them know exactly how you might color coordinate parent rows for your team.

• GLee
    Options

A question on this -- the template provided in Smartsheet titled "Project Milestones and Deliverables" shows the background color of a parent task set to a color.   If you look at the template, you'll see that the left-hand columns of the parent task (i.e. Initiation Phase) can easily be set to the orange color using the fill option in the toolbar, but the date-columns of the GANTT chart are also set to this color.

How?

I do not see that conditional formatting is being used.

And I cannot see an option anywhere to set this.

Is this trickery being done behind the scenes in this template, or is there something I am missing that allows for parent / summary task rows to use a background color across the entire task row?

Thanks to anyone who has hints / answers.  A screenshot of the template use of this is provided below.

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 8.20.07 AM.png

This discussion has been closed.