Sharing and Permissions Trouble

I am having some trouble allowing a free (unlicensed) user to edit a Smartsheet. I am a paying licensed member and have shared a sheet with a client and have made them an editor. As far as I can tell, none of the columns or rows of the spreadsheet are locked. When they open the sheet, it shows read only. They are unable to make any edits.

I have tried to delete them and add them again with no luck. What am I missing here? As far as I can tell from reading the permissions documentation, they should be able to edit the sheet as a free user as long as I have them setup as an editor.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Deanna Vandermeer
    Deanna Vandermeer Overachievers Alumni

Have you confirmed what login they are using to access Smartsheet? Sometimes, I have found that when I share a sheet with someone so they can edit, it turns out that they are logging in under a different email address than the one I used to share the sheet with them. This is sometimes a problem if they haven't linked their different emails within their personal settings. Perhaps they have two profiles without realizing it? Just a thought and something to check on. But yes, as long as you have shared a sheet to them with edit rights they should be able to work in the sheet.

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @George C

I hope you're well and safe!

Are you on the Pro Plan?

Sheets owned by Pro Plan users can only be edited by licensed users within that account.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks! I think the pro plan is my issue! I wasn't able to find this easily in the documentation.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@George C

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Yes, it's not that easy to find.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.